A Crazy Narcolepsy Night and an Attack of the Ceiling Fan

The last month has been a bustle of activity.  My daughter turned 4.  My husband and I went on vacation.  Work has been busy, and I’ve been trying to get back into a consistent exercise routine.   Our busy lifestyle has me not making the most healthy decisions when it comes to eating.  Dining out on vacation just made things worse.  In fact, I’m still recovering from possible gluten consumption.  Because things have been a little hectic and I have not been a diligent about managing my routines and therefore my disorder, I’ve been feeling rather crummy.  Add on lingering stomach issues along with Xyrem suddenly not working as well and you’ve got a sickly, sleepy, slug.  Last night was one of worst nights I’ve had in months.  It reminded me of why my husband encouraged me to seek help for my sleep issues.

It started out like any other Tuesday evening.  We ate a quick dinner before heading to my daughter’s  gymnastics class.  By the time we got home, it was time to put her to bed.  While reading to her, I felt really tired.  I don’t even remember doing anything from then on.   I vaguely remember watching the debate, but I’m not sure what hubby and I watched after that.  By the time my 10:00 bedtime rolled around, I was so ready to crash.  However, I could not stay asleep.  I felt as if I was stuck in some in between place.  I couldn’t keep my eyes open, yet I was completely aware of my surroundings, including my husband’s snoring (don’t worry, I’m on him to go get another sleep study).  The room was too hot, the nightlight in the hallway bothered me, and of course, the snoring was not helping.  I tossed and turned, weaving in and out of consciousness for an hour before finally deciding to go downstairs to sleep on the couch.  If anything, it was cooler.  Still, I could not sleep.  It was so frustrating.  I couldn’t understand why the Xyrem had worn off so quickly.  At 1:00am I finally gave up and took my second dose of Xyrem.  I think I fell asleep around 2am.

At 3:30am, a loud banging sound came out of nowhere.  I was sure it was someone breaking into the house.  Terrified, I went limp.  Absolutely could not move a muscle.  (Some help I am, huh? LOL)  As the banging continued, I realized it was coming from overhead.  THE CEILING FAN!  “Oh my gosh, the ceiling fan is breaking and parts of it are going to fly into my face.”  Another ten seconds passed by before I could finally move to turn off the fan.  I grabbed my phone to use as a little light so that I could investigate.  A foil balloon left over from my daughter’s birthday party had wandered its way next to the fan.  That sound I heard was the fan blades smacking into the balloon.

When I told my husband about my crazy night and being attacked by the ceiling fan, he mentioned that my first dose was still on the nightstand, untouched.  Yep, in my sleepy automatic behavior haze, I’d forgotten to take the first dose!

Speak Your Mind